Alison Starr-Moss receives Ted Westmoreland Faculty Excellence Award

“Caring” is a word a colleague used to describe Alison Starr-Moss in her nomination to receive the 2020 Ted Westmoreland Faculty Excellence Award.

The Ted Westmoreland Faculty Excellence Award was established in 2013 through an endowment generously created and funded by the late Dr. Ted G. Westmoreland and is presented annually to honor a distinguished faculty member who has made outstanding contributions in the area of undergraduate student success at Clemson University.

“I’ve observed many faculty members on Clemson’s campus and Dr. Starr-Moss is, by far, the most consistent and caring faculty member at Clemson,” the nominator wrote.

Photo of Alison Starr-Moss
Alison Starr-Moss

Starr-Moss is a senior lecturer and undergraduate academic adviser in the genetics and biochemistry department in the College of Science.

She teaches an introductory course on careers in biochemistry and genetics as well as Creative Inquiry courses and serves as primary academic adviser for approximately 250 students each year. She is a member of the curriculum committees for both the department of genetics and biochemistry and the College of Science.

“I hope my students learn Clemson is more than just completing a curriculum map, and I want them to know that I ‘see’ them and appreciate each one for letting me be a small part of their Clemson story,” Starr-Moss said.

“I am truly honored to receive this award because we have exceptional faculty and staff on campus who have already set the bar high for defining excellence. To be selected for an award recognizing excellence is the greatest compliment and reinforcement of the work I am doing,“ she said.

“We were most impressed with the commitment, dedication and professionalism Alison consistently and continuously demonstrates in her work with students and colleagues,” the selection committee members shared.

“She consistently treats students with equity and care, and provides sound and up-to-date advice. Whether it is a student or a parent or faculty member, she relates to this person then adjusts her narrative to fit that person’s needs and emotions. Her tireless thought and evaluation to make class effective show in her preparation and assessment.”